Roast Chicken My Way with Parsley-Lemon Oil
This recipe for Dad's Roast Chicken My Way is adapted from Dave Lieberman's cookbook "Young and Hungry"
The Martha Stewart Show, December Winter 2005
- One (3 1/2-pound) chicken, rinsed, patted dry, trimmed of excess fat or skin, wing tips discarded, cut into 8 serving pieces (for the roast chicken)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, (for the roast chicken)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, (for the roast chicken)
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme (for the roast chicken)
- Zest of 1/2 lemon, (for the roast chicken)
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley, leaves removed and finely chopped (for the parsley-lemon oil)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (for the parsley-lemon oil)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, (for the parsley-lemon oil)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, (for the parsley-lemon oil)
- Basil-Chive Red Potato Mash (http://www.marthastewart.com/254794/basil-chive-red-potato-mash)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place chicken in a 13-by-11-inch baking pan. Season generously with salt, pepper, olive oil, rosemary, thyme, and zest; toss to combine. Arrange chicken in a single layer, skin-side up. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes or covered in a refrigerator overnight.
- Transfer to oven, and roast until skin is browned and juices run clear, about 35 to 40 minutes. If white meat is done before the dark meat, transfer to a serving platter while dark meat finishes cooking.
- Meanwhile, prepare the parsley-lemon oil; in a small bowl, combine parsley, extra-virgin olive oil, and juice; season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Serve chicken with potato mash. Garnish with parsley-lemon oil.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.