Cinnamon-Raisin Pound Cake with Basic Glaze
We've spiced up our Classic Pound Cake recipe with cinnamon and raisins.
Martha Stewart Living, July 2009
For the Cake
- 1 pound (3 1/4 cups), plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 4 sticks softened unsalted butter, plus more for pans
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 9 large, room-temperature eggs
- 2 cups raisins
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
For the Topping
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 to 5 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter two 5-by-9-inch loaf pans. Combine 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour and salt in a bowl.
- Cream butter and sugar with a mixer on high speed until pale and fluffy, for 8 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl. Reduce speed to medium, and add vanilla extract.
- Lightly beat eggs, and add to mixer bowl in 4 additions, mixing thoroughly after each and scraping down sides. Reduce speed to low, and add flour mixture in 4 additions, mixing until just incorporated. Toss raisins in remaining 2 tablespoons flour; fold into finished batter. Divide batter in half. Fold cinnamon into 1 half. Scoop batters into 2 prepared pans, 1/2 cup at a time, alternating plain and cinnamon. Swirl with a knife. Tap on counter to distribute; smooth tops.
- Bake until a tester inserted into center of each cake comes out clean, about 65 minutes. Let cool in pans on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire rack.
- Make the glaze: Combine 2 cups confectioners' sugar and 4 to 5 tablespoons milk in a bowl. Drizzle over cooled cakes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.