The bulgur in this protein-fiber side dish is toasted to bring out its deep, nutty flavor before being simmered in chicken stock. The crunch of chopped almonds complements the chewiness of the cooked bulgur.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2004
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 cup bulgur
- 3/4 cup homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 cup salted, roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bulgur, and toast, stirring frequently, until golden and fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir together toasted bulgur, stock, 3/4 cup water, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer until all liquid is absorbed and bulgur is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Discard bay leaf and cinnamon stick (or, if desired, leave in as a garnish). Stir in almonds and oil; season with salt and pepper.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.