Banana Pudding Parfaits
Sweetened Whipped Cream: Using an electric mixer, beat 1/2 cup heavy cream with 1 tablespoon sugar until soft peaks form.
Everyday Food, April 2007
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
- Serves 6
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 bananas, plus more for garnish
- 12 shortbread or other vanilla-flavored cookies (4 to 5 ounces total), crumbled, plus more for garnish
- Sweetened whipped cream, for garnish
- Have ready a fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl. In a medium saucepan, off heat, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Very gradually (a few tablespoons at a time), whisk in milk, taking care to dissolve cornstarch; whisk in egg yolks.
- Whisking constantly, cook mixture over medium heat until the first large bubble forms and sputters. Reduce heat to low; whisking constantly, cook 1 minute. Remove from heat, and immediately pour through sieve into bowl. Stir butter and vanilla into hot pudding. Let pudding cool slightly; meanwhile, slice bananas.
- In six 8-ounce glasses, alternately layer warm pudding with cookies and bananas, ending with pudding and covering bananas as completely as you can to prevent discoloration. Refrigerate until set, at least 1 hour, and covered with plastic wrap, up to 2 days.
- To serve, top with whipped cream and more crumbled cookies and sliced bananas.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.