Simple Chicken Noodle Soup
This recipe yields a rich broth and vegetables for soup, plus cooked chicken to use in other recipes. Use the white meat for our Asian Chicken Salad and the dark meat for our Tortilla Pie.
Everyday Food, April 2009
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 55 minutes
- Yield Serves 8
- 1 whole chicken (3 to 4 pounds), giblets and liver discarded
- 1 pound carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 pound parsnips, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
- 4 teaspoons coarse salt
- Cooked wide egg noodles, for serving
- In a large pot, combine chicken, carrots, parsnips, and onions. Add water to just cover. Stir in salt. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook, partially covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 35 minutes (skim off foam). Transfer chicken to a plate to cool; refrigerate (see note, below). To serve soup, add noodles to broth, and season with salt, if desired.
To store, pull meat from bones, keeping chicken breasts whole and tearing dark meat into bite-size pieces (discard skin and bones). Refrigerate in separate airtight containers for up to 2 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.