Orange and Avocado Salad
To segment an orange, peel and trim it. Then hold the orange over a bowl and release each segment by cutting toward the center along the membranes -- first on one side of the segment, then on the other.
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 15 minutes
- Serves 4
- 3 navel oranges
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large head of red leaf lettuce, torn
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 6 to 8 radishes, cut into wedges
- Cut off ends of oranges; using a paring knife, remove peel, pith, and outer membranes, following the curve of the fruit. Working over a bowl to catch the juices, cut between sections to remove whole segments; add segments to a large bowl. Squeeze juice from membranes into a bowl; measure out 3 tablespoons juice; reserve remaining juice for another use.
- In a small bowl, whisk together reserved orange juice, vinegar, and olive oil; season with salt and pepper. To bowl with oranges, add lettuce, avocado, and radishes. Toss with dressing, and serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.