Cranberry Relish Two Ways
Sara Foster, of Foster's Market in Durham and Chapel Hill, NC, makes two cranberry relishes: one with citrus for more traditional tastes, and the other with seven-pepper jelly for a spicy flavor.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2002
- 1 pound fresh cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Zest of 1 orange
- 4 oranges, segmented, pith and membranes removed
- 1 cup seven-pepper jelly
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs, such as rosemary and thyme
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a simmer. Add the cranberries, sugar, orange juice and zest. Stir until sugar is dissolved and the cranberries begin to pop, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Divide relish in half, reserving half. Add orange segments to half of the cranberries. Stir to combine.
- Add pepper jelly and fresh herbs to the remaining half. Stir to combine. Serve relishes in separate dishes.
For best results, use fresh cranberries -- never frozen -- and the best oranges you can find. Presented with the individual tastes of guests in mind, cranberry relish served two ways can be a thoughtful addition to this year's Thanksgiving table.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.