Peaches in Syrup
Martha Stewart Living, June 2008
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 8 small) ripe peaches, bottoms scored
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Prepare an ice-water bath. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Cook peaches, 3 at a time, for 1 minute. Transfer to ice-water bath. Peel, halve, and pit peaches. Cut each half into 6 wedges.
- Bring peaches, sugar, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Let cool completely, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Prepare an ice-water bath. Transfer peach mixture to a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Skim foam from surface. Cook, stirring occasionally, until peaches are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Return peach mixture to the bowl, and let cool in ice-water bath. Use immediately, or refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.