Homemade salsa picante can dress up tacos or serve as a table sauce for chips.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2009
- 1 1/4 pounds vine tomatoes
- 2 jalapeno chiles, stems removed
- 1/2 medium white onion, cut into wedges
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Preheat broiler. Place tomatoes, jalapenos, onion, and garlic on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil, turning vegetables often and rotating baking sheet frequently, until tomatoes are blistered with dark spots and flesh is tender, about 5 minutes. Let cool. When vegetables are cool enough to handle, peel garlic. Puree garlic, tomatoes, jalapenos, onion, water, vinegar, and salt in a blender until almost smooth. Serve warm or chilled. Sauce can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.