Roasted Barley Pilaf
Pan-roasting the barley gives it a rich, nutty flavor.
Martha Stewart Living, February/March 1993
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1/4 pound white or wild mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups Homemade Chicken Stock Homemade Chicken Stock (http://www.marthastewart.com/261561/homemade-chicken-stock), or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat, or water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a heavy medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add barley and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. The barley should start to brown and give off an aroma.
- Add shallots, and cook for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, and cook until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Add stock and salt. Bring to a boil; then turn down heat to a bare simmer. Cover, and cook for 45 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir well, season with pepper and more salt, if needed, and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.