This is a quick and delicious side dish for any season, since chicory is available year-round. Radicchio, a red-leaf chicory, adds a contrasting bitter note as well as a splash of color.
Martha Stewart Living, March 2002
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 head radicchio (about 10 ounces), trimmed and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 bunch chicory (about 1 1/2 pounds), trimmed and roughly chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add anchovies, and cook 1 minute. Add radicchio and chicory; saute until slightly wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving platter, and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.