Stenciled Chocolate Cupcakes
Make a bevy of bats, a swarm of spiders, or an assortment of other scary designs atop chocolate cupcakes. Cupcake stencils for this recipe are available at Michaels.
Halloween 2009, 2009
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Mix in eggs, water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla until smooth, about 3 minutes. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin tins. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until tops spring back when lightly touched, about 20 minutes. Let cool in tins on wire racks.
- Before serving, place a stencil atop each cupcake, and dust with confectioners' sugar. Carefully remove stencil.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.