Roasted-Portobello Salad with Blue Cheese
Portobello mushrooms are quite large (they measure four to six inches in diameter) and have a rich, meaty flavor. To clean them, wipe the caps with a damp paper towel.
Everyday Food Fresh Flavor Fast, 2010
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 4 portobello mushrooms (about 1 1/2 pounds total), stems removed
- 3 medium heads Belgian endive
- 8 ounces mesclun or mixed salad greens, (about 10 cups)
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces blue cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Slowly add olive oil, whisking to emulsify. Set aside 1/2 cup dressing to toss with the greens.
- Place mushrooms, stem side up, on a baking sheet. Coat both sides with some of the remaining dressing. Roast mushrooms, brushing with more dressing every 5 minutes, until they are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Toss endive, mesclun, onion, and cheese with reserved dressing, and divide among salad bowls. Cut portobellos 1/2 inch thick, and arrange a few slices over each serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.