Savory Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
If you use oblong sweet potatoes, trim along the top of each, lengthwise.
Martha Stewart Living, December 2005
- 4 large round sweet potatoes, (10 to 12 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, flakes
- 4 ounces Tuscan kale, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 4 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake sweet potatoes on sheet until tender but not completely cooked through, 55 minutes to 1 hour and 10 minutes (depending on size). Let stand until sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. Leave oven on.
- Cut off the top quarter of each sweet potato; discard. Scoop out and reserve flesh, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell; set shells aside. Reserve half the flesh for another use. Coarsely chop the remaining flesh; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, rosemary, salt, and red pepper flakes; cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Add kale; cook, stirring occasionally, until kale has wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in reserved chopped sweet potatoes, the tofu, and 1/4 cup water. Cook until filling is heated through, about 45 seconds.
- Place sweet potato shells on a rimmed baking sheet. Spoon filling into shells, dividing evenly. Cover with foil, and bake until heated through, about 30 minutes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.