Poached Egg over Grits
The creamy smooth center of a poached egg is very soothing over hot grits.
Martha Stewart Baby, 2000
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 large egg
- Creamy Calcium Grits (http://www.marthastewart.com/261860/creamy-calcium-grits)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Fill a high-sided skillet or a wide saucepan with 3 inches of water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in vinegar. Break egg into a small shallow bowl or cup. Reduce heat to a high simmer. Lower the bowl with egg just to the edge of the simmering water. Quickly empty egg into the bubbling water. Use a spoon to keep egg white together, if needed. Simmer until yolk is just set, about 4 minutes.
- Remove poached egg with a slotted spoon, and drain it quickly on a paper towel. Place egg over hot grits. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.