- 4 medium carrots
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 5 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 1 can (15 ounces) lentils, rinsed, drained, and patted dry
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 head Bibb lettuce
- In a food processor fitted with the shredding disk, shred carrots. Transfer to a medium bowl; toss with 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tablespoon oil, and half the scallions. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Wipe food processor clean, and fit with chopping blade. Process 1 bun until finely ground. Add lentils, egg, half the mint, 1 teaspoon salt, 3/4 teaspoon pepper, and remaining scallions. Pulse just until combined.
- Dividing evenly, shape mixture into four 3 1/2-inch patties. In a large skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium. Cook burgers until browned and firm, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, remaining mint, and remaining tablespoon lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Place burgers on buns, and top with yogurt sauce and lettuce. Serve with carrot salad.
The food processor is such a handy tool here. Shredding carrots for the salad and blending canned lentils and other ingredients for the burgers is done in mere seconds.