Creole Beef Grillades
This recipe is from Tom Hanemann, of Memphis.
Everyday Food, March/April 2003
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 45 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 1/2 pounds eye of round steak
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can (14 ounces) tomato sauce
- 4 dried bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Cut eye of the round steak into 8 slices, and season both sides with salt and pepper. In a deep skillet, heat olive oil over high heat, about 1 minute. Sear beef until brown, about 3 minutes per side; this can be done in two batches if necessary. Transfer beef to a platter.
- Reduce heat to medium, and add onion and bell pepper to the skillet; cook until onion is soft, about 2 minutes. Stir in 2 cups water, tomato sauce, bay leaves, basil, oregano, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Return beef and any accumulated juices to the pan, and spoon sauce over beef. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer until the meat is tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Sprinkle parsley on top, and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.