Black-and-White Ice Cream Tart
This frosty dessert is infinitely adaptable: Trade the vanilla ice cream for chocolate, mint chip, or your favorite flavor.
Everyday Food, March 2007
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 4 hours 30 minutes
- Yield Serves 8
- 24 chocolate sandwich cookies (about 10 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream, softened (see note, above)
- Coarsely chop 6 cookies; set aside.
- Make crust: Process 10 cookies in a food processor until fine crumbs form. Add butter, and process until combined. Transfer to a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Using the bottom of a measuring cup or glass, press crust firmly into pan. Top with a circle of 8 cookies.
- Dollop ice cream by the cup all over crust. Using a rubber spatula, gently spread. Sprinkle edge of ice cream with chopped cookies, forming a border. Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours, or cover with plastic wrap and freeze, up to 1 week.
- To unmold, run a warm, damp cloth or sponge around outside edge of pan. Lift removable bottom with tart out of pan. Transfer to a serving plate, and cut into slices.
Let ice cream stand at room temperature 30 minutes, or microwave it in 10-second increments until spreadable.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.