It takes only 10 minutes to create a colorful ice cream topping that makes the most of a well-loved just-before-summer combo: sweet strawberries and tart rhubarb.
Everyday Food, May 2008
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 15 minutes plus cooling
- Yield Serves 8
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 2 rhubarb stalks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream
- Shortbread Wedges (http://www.marthastewart.com/261369/shortbread-wedges), or store-bought shortbread cookies, for serving (optional)
- In a large saucepan, place strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, and 1/4 cup water; bring to a simmer over high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb begins to break down, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Refrigerate until cool, at least 1 hour and up to 1 week. Spoon strawberry-rhubarb sauce over scoops of ice cream; serve with shortbread, if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.