Martha Stewart Living, February 2001
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 coarsely chopped (about 1/4 cup) medium shallot
- 2 coarsely chopped medium garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup Homemade Chicken Stock Homemade Chicken Stock (http://www.marthastewart.com/261561/homemade-chicken-stock), or low-sodium canned chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Place 1 pepper on a gas burner over medium flame, or place pepper under the broiler. Cook until blackened on all sides, 8 to 12 minutes. Let pepper cool in a paper bag. Peel, and seed. Set aside. Seed, devein, and coarsely chop second pepper.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add oil, and swirl to coat pan. Add chopped fresh bell pepper, shallot, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots are translucent, about 3 minutes. Add stock, and simmer until sauce has reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a food processor. Add lemon juice and roasted pepper; puree. Taste, and adjust for seasoning.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.