When choosing artichokes for this salad, select ones with long stems.
Martha Stewart Living
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, strained, plus 1/2 lemon, cut into wedges, for rubbing artichokes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large artichokes
- 1 small head red-leaf lettuce, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a medium bowl, whisk together lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the olive oil. Set the vinaigrette aside.
- Trim the stem end of an artichoke so it is no more than 2 inches long. Rub the cut part with a lemon wedge. Pull off all leaves, and discard. Using a melon baller, scoop out the choke, and discard. Rub the exposed heart with lemon wedge. Using a paring knife, trim around the edges of the heart, and discard parings. Rub trimmed artichoke with lemon wedge. Repeat with remaining artichokes.
- Place a mandoline over the bowl containing the lemon vinaigrette. Cut 1 trimmed artichoke into long, thin slices, and place in bowl. Immediately coat the slices with the vinaigrette. Repeat with the remaining 2 artichokes. Marinate 30 minutes.
- Place the chopped lettuce and parsley in the bowl with the artichokes, and toss. Serve the salad immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.