Grilled Beets with Dilled Cucumbers
Everyday Food, July/August 2003
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 pounds beets, trimmed
- 1/2 cup ice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Heat grill to high. In heavy-duty foil, wrap beets, in one layer, with ice. Cover grill; cook until beets are tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife, 40 to 45 minutes, turning once.
- Rub off skins with paper towel. Cut beets into wedges. Toss in bowl with oil and 1 tablespoon vinegar; season with salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, toss cucumber slices with sour cream, dill, and remaining 2 teaspoons vinegar; season with salt and pepper.
- Place beets on platter; top with cucumbers.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.