Everyday Food, September 2005
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 2 hours
- Serves 8
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest, plus more for garnish (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a medium saucepan (off heat), whisk yolks, 1 cup sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, salt, and 1/2 cup of the milk until completely smooth; gradually whisk in remaining 3 cups milk.
- Place saucepan over medium heat; bring to a gentle simmer, whisking occasionally (mixture will thicken when it reaches a simmer). Remove from heat; whisk in lemon juice.
- Pour mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl. Divide evenly among serving dishes; refrigerate, uncovered, until chilled, about 1 1/2 hours. (To store overnight, cover dishes tightly with plastic once pudding has chilled.)
- To serve, whip cream with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar until soft peaks form. Spoon over puddings; garnish with extra lemon zest, if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.