Lemon Roasted Chicken
Reader Casey Coleman of Tallahassee, Florida recommends this recipe for a delicate, citrusy fragrance and flavor. Simply stuff lemon wedges and a handful of fresh herbs into the cavity before roasting.
Photography: Lisa Cohen
Everyday Food, December 2005
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Serves 4
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 2 lemons, washed and quartered
- 1 whole chicken, (3 1/2 pounds), rinsed and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Stuff rosemary and 1 cut lemon into chicken cavity. Tuck wings under and tie chicken legs together with kitchen twine. Set chicken on a rack in a roasting or baking pan.
- Rub chicken all over with oil, and season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Roast until an instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees when inserted in the thickest part of the thigh (avoiding bone), 45 to 50 minutes. Serve with fresh lemon quarters.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.