Memphis-Style Barbecue Sauce
Use this sauce for Southern Grilled Chicken with Macaroni Salad.
Everyday Food, July/August 2007
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 small onion, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add ketchup, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire, hot sauce, and cayenne. Bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thick, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.