Orange Spice Cake with White Chocolate Poinsettia Topper
Martha Stewart Living, December 2005
- Vegetable oil, cooking spray
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest, plus 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1/4 cup Cointreau (optional)
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted, finely chopped
- Seven-Minute Frosting (http://www.marthastewart.com/283510/seven-minute-frosting)
- Chocolate Leaves (http://www.marthastewart.com/285401/chocolate-leaves)
- 1/2 ounce marzipan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat three 6- inch round cake pans with cooking spray. Line bottoms with parchment; coat parchment with cooking spray. Dust with flour; tap out excess. Set aside.
- Stir boiling water and baking soda in a small bowl; set aside. Sift together flour, spices, salt, and baking powder into a large bowl; set aside.
- Put butter, sugar, and zest into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed; mix in molasses, liqueur if desired, orange juice, corn syrup, and baking soda mixture. Mix in flour mixture, then eggs and vanilla. Stir in nuts.
- Divide batter among prepared pans. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on racks 15 minutes. Invert to unmold onto racks; remove parchment. Reinvert; let cool completely. Store cakes at room temperature, wrapped well in plastic, up to 1 day.
- Trim tops of cakes flat. Spread 1/2 cup frosting on cut side of 1 layer. Top with a second layer; spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Top with final layer, cut side down. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides, smoothing with an offset spatula.
- Place 6 or 7 green chocolate leaves on top of cake in a circle with tips facing out, overhanging sides slightly. Place 12 to 15 pink leaves on top of green leaves, leaving a hole in center. Roll marzipan into six to eight 1/8-inch balls; taper one end of each into a point. Place marzipan buds in center, point side down. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 8 hours. Bring to room temperature before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.