Spaghetti with Peas and Zucchini Ribbons
This quick, colorful pasta showcases the season's first peas, zucchini, and basil.
Martha Stewart Living, April 2007
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shelled fresh English peas (about 1 1/2 pounds unshelled) or thawed frozen petite peas
- 8 ounces baby zucchini (about 12), trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch-thick slices with a mandoline or a knife
- 1 1/2 cups plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves, very thinly sliced
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add 1 teaspoon salt. Add peas, and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes for fresh peas and 1 minute for frozen. Using a slotted spoon, transfer peas to a medium bowl; set aside. Add zucchini to pot, and cook 30 seconds; using a slotted spoon, transfer to bowl with peas.
- Put yogurt and basil into a large, heatproof bowl; season with salt and pepper. Set bowl over the boiling water, and whisk until mixture is warm, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add peas and zucchini to bowl; set aside.
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water until al dente; drain. Add pasta to vegetables and sauce, and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with cheese.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.