Warm-Mushroom Salad with Pistou Vinaigrette
Classic pistou is a mixture of crushed basil, garlic, and olive oil, but almost any other herb, such as parsley, thyme, or oregano, can be used in place of the basil.
Martha Stewart Living, November 1996
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms (about 13 ounces), such as shiitake and oyster, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino, plus more shavings for garnish
- 1 1/4 cups loosely packed herbs such as basil, parsley, thyme, or oregano, coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces mixed greens
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange mushrooms on piece of foil; season with wine, 3 tablespoons oil, salt, and pinch of pepper. Slice 1 clove garlic; scatter over mushrooms. Fold foil to create loose package. Bake until mushrooms are fork tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.
- Finely chop remaining garlic clove; add to bowl along with pecorino and chopped herbs. Toss, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place greens in a bowl; season with remaining oil, salt, pepper, and vinegar. Arrange greens on serving plates, and top with warm mushroom mixture. Garnish with shavings of pecorino if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.