Egg Salad Pinwheels
In order to hold their shape properly, the pinwheels must be refrigerated overnight.
Martha Stewart Kids, Spring
- 1 dozen large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 whole loaves pumpernickel bread, unsliced
- Make egg salad: Place eggs in a large saucepan, and add enough cold water to cover by 3 inches. Bring water to a boil over high heat. Cook 1 minute, and remove from heat; cover, and let stand 10 minutes. Remove eggs from pan, and rinse under cold water to stop cooking.
- Peel eggs, and finely chop. Place in a large bowl, and add 1 cup mayonnaise; stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper; stir again to combine. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until needed.
- Make pinwheels: Using a serrated knife, remove crust from all sides of bread loaves. Cut each loaf lengthwise into long 1/2-inch-thick slices. Spread a dab of remaining 1/2 cup mayonnaise on one side of each slice, and top with a thin layer of egg salad. Roll each slice into a log, starting at one of the short ends; wrap well in plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. Just before serving, thinly slice crosswise into pinwheels with a serrated knife.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.