This is a wonderful Southern nonalcoholic drink. The recipe comes from Angeles Parlange's mother, who likes to serve it as an alternative to a mint julep.
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups mint leaves
- Juice of 7 lemons (about 1 1/2 cups), plus 1 lemon reserved for zest
- Juice of 3 oranges (about 3/4 cup), plus 1 orange reserved for zest
- Crushed ice
- Seltzer water (optional)
- Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Stir until sugar dissolves. Turn off heat.
- Crush mint leaves in a large bowl with mallet or spoon. Add to saucepan. Add lemon juice, orange juice, lemon zest, and orange zest to saucepan. Stir to combine.
- Pass mixture through fine strainer, discard solids. Fill glasses with crushed ice and 3/4 full with strained mixture. Top with seltzer to cut sweetness (optional).
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.