This cornbread, if used for stuffing, should be made one day ahead.
Martha Stewart Living Television, 1999
Yield Makes 1 eight-inch square
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 medium jalapenos, diced, with seeds
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly butter an 8-inch square pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
- In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, jalapenos, egg, sugar, and 2 tablespoons melted butter. Add to dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool for 10 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.