Martha Stewart Living, October 2006
- All-purpose flour, for work surface
- Tart Dough (http://www.marthastewart.com/281639/tart-dough)
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-packed pumpkin
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Place one disk of dough on a lightly floured work surface; roll out to 1/8 inch thick. Cut out six 6-inch rounds, gathering scraps and rerolling dough once if needed. Fit rounds into six 3 3/4-inch fluted tart pans with removable bottoms. Trim dough flush with tops. Refrigerate on baking sheets 30 minutes. Repeat with second disk of dough.
- Roll out remaining dough to 1/8 inch thick. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk pumpkin, 1 cup cream, whole eggs, honey, sugar, salt, and spices in a large bowl. Divide among tart shells. Bake tarts on baking sheets until edges are golden brown and filling has set, about 30 minutes. Let cool on wire racks. Keep oven on.
- Using a paring knife, cut out jack-o-lantern features from the chilled dough; transfer cutouts to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Chill in freezer 15 minutes. Whisk yolk and remaining 2 tablespoons cream in a small bowl. Brush cutouts with the egg wash. Bake until golden brown, about 9 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Arrange cutouts on top of cooled tarts, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.