Devil's Food Cupcakes
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Chocolate Ganache Frosting (http://www.marthastewart.com/258257/chocolate-ganache-frosting)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of two 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water. In a bowl, stir baking soda into the boiling water; stir this mixture into chocolate. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until the mixture is light and pale yellow in color. Add eggs, one at a time, and continue to mix until thoroughly incorporated. Add flour and buttermilk, alternating between small amounts of each, and blend well.
- Add the melted chocolate and vanilla to the batter, and stir well. Pour the batter into the paper cups, and bake until a cake tester comes out clean when inserted into the center of a cupcake, about 30 minutes. Remove cupcakes from the oven, and allow them to cool briefly in the muffin tin before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely. Ice, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.