Photography: Anna Williams
Martha Stewart Living, February 2000
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 stalk celery, sliced on diagonal, 1/4 inch think
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced on diagonal, 1/4 inch thick
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked lentils
- Two 14 1/2-ounce cans low-sodium or homemade chicken stock
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Place medium saucepan over medium heat, and add the olive oil. When hot, add celery, carrots, and shallot, and saute until the chopped shallot is translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, bay leaf, and lentils, and stir to combine. Add the chicken stock, increase heat to high, and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium low, simmer for 20 minutes, and add the rosemary. Continue cooking until the lentils are tender, about 10 minutes more. Stir in the salt, pepper, and scallions. Remove the rosemary sprig and bay leaf before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.