Cherry and Amaretti Parfaits
The familiarity of cherry cheesecake is reimagined in this surprisingly simple dessert. In each parfait, a quick, creamy ricotta filling is layered over sweetened poached cherries and topped with crumbled almond cookies from the market.
Martha Stewart Living, March 2009
- 6 ounces (1 cup) dried cherries
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 8 amaretti cookies, coarsely crumbled
- Combine cherries, water, granulated sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, blend cream cheese, ricotta, vanilla, confectioners' sugar, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in a food processor until smooth. Divide cherries among 4 glasses, then top each with ricotta mixture. Sprinkle tops with crumbled amaretti cookies, and serve immediately.
The ricotta filling can be mixed by hand, but for the smoothest results, use a food processor.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.