Radicchio and Mushroom Chicken Roulade
If you aren't using a whole chicken for the Stuffed-Noodle Soup or if you are serving the roulade without the soup, you can use two boneless, skinless chicken breast halves and low-sodium store-bought chicken stock. Ask your butcher for a chicken liver.
Martha Stewart Living, February 2007
- 2 boneless, skinless chichen breast halves (reserved from <u>Stuffed-Noodle Soup</u>)
- Coarse salt
- 1 small head radicchio, cored, leaves separated
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms (half chopped, half cut into 1/2-inch thick slices)
- 1 chicken liver (reserved from <u>Stuffed-Noodle Soup</u>), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 1/4 cup freshly shredded mozzarella cheese
- 10 cipollini or pearl onions, peeled
- 1/4 cup chicken stock (reserved from <u>Stuffed-Noodle Soup</u>)
- Using a chef's knife and starting on 1 long side, slice open chicken horizontally, stopping about 1/2 inch before reaching opposite side. Open each like a book, and place between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound with the flat side of a meat mallet to 1/4 inch thick. Refrigerate in plastic until ready to use.
- Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil; add 1 tablespoon salt. Add radicchio, and cook 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to ice-water bath to cool. Transfer radicchio to a plate lined with paper towels, and pat dry. Remove tough core from each leaf. Set radicchio aside.
- Heat a medium saute pan over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon each butter and oil. Add shallots, and stir. Add chopped mushrooms, chicken liver, sage, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring, until liver is no longer pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1/4 cup Marsala, and cook until liquid has evaporated, about 30 seconds.
Set aside to cool.
- Remove top layer of plastic from chicken.
Season with salt and pepper. Spread half the mushroom mixture over one breast, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Place 3 or 4 radicchio leaves over mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with half the cheese. Using plastic wrap to lift and guide chicken,
roll up; twist plastic at both ends. Repeat
with remaining breast. Refrigerate at least 1 hour (up to 3).
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Unwrap chicken bundles; tie with kitchen twine. Season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon butter and the remaining tablespoon oil in an 8-inch ovenproof skillet over high heat. Place chicken, seam side up, in skillet.
Add cipollini. Cook, turning chicken and stirring cipollini occasionally, until chicken is brown on all sides. Add remaining
1/4 cup Marsala and the stock. Cook, swirling pan occasionally, until slightly reduced, about 30 seconds.
- Cover, and transfer pan to oven. Bake until chicken has cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer chicken and cipollini to a plate. Wipe out pan; place over high heat. Add remaining tablespoon butter. Add sliced mushrooms, and cook, stirring, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove twine from chicken. Thinly slice chicken crosswise, and serve with cipollini and sauteed mushrooms.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.