Goat Cheese Souffles
Soft goat cheese can be substituted for aged; be sure to reduce the amount of salt to 3/4 teaspoon.
Martha Stewart Living, December 2007
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Serves 4
Yield Serves 4
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for dishes
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup whole milk, warm
- 4 ounces firm aged goat cheese, grated or coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 large eggs, separated
- Preheat oven to 375. Butter four 1-cup souffle dishes. Dust with flour, and tap out excess.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle flour over top, and cook, whisking, for 1 1/2 minutes. Add milk, cheese, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Cook, whisking, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in yolks.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold cheese mixture into whites. Divide among souffle dishes, filling to 1 inch from top. Place on a baking sheet, and bake until puffed and golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.