Caramelized Apricots with Almond Cream
Cook the fruit quickly so that a layer of brittle caramel encases the soft interior. This recipe works just as well with peaches.
Martha Stewart Living, August/September 1992
- 1/2 pint heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- 1 tablespoon amaretto or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 8 apricots, ripe but firm, halved and pitted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (optional)
- Whip cream with confectioner's sugar until soft peaks form. Whisk in amaretto or almond extract. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Melt butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add sugar; stir to dissolve. Swirl occasionally until mixture is light brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add apricots, cut side down. Increase heat to medium high, and cook until sugar has turned a deep amber and apricots are well caramelized, no more than 5 minutes. Shake pan a few times.
- Remove pan from heat and transfer apricots to a plate, cut side up. Whisk milk into sugar mixture to make caramel sauce. Simmer over low heat until thick, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Arrange apricots on four plates and pour sauce over each one. Spoon almond cream on the side and garnish with sliced almonds.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.