Apple and Pear Chips
Use unblemished, slightly underripe fruit to make these chips. They can be kept in an airtight container between layers of parchment paper for up to three days.
Celebrating 2000, Special Issue 2000
- Yield Makes about 1 1/2 dozen
- 1 apple
- 1 pear
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Heat oven to 200 degrees. Place a Silpat (French nonstick baking mat) or parchment paper on a baking sheet. Using a mandoline or a very sharp knife, slice apple and pears into very thin translucent rounds (slice pears lengthwise). Do not remove seeds or cores.
- Place sugar on a plate; dip both sides of fruit slices into sugar to coat. Transfer slices to baking sheet.
- Bake until edges begin to ruffle, about 1 hour. Turn slice over and continue baking until golden brown, about 1 hour more.
- Transfer chips in a single layer to a wire rack to cool and harden.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.