After a stay in the freezer, cubes of watermelon become "ice" for this margarita, which gets an herbal edge from basil-infused tequila.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2007
- 7 1/2 pounds seedless watermelon, rind removed, fruit cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 teaspoons superfine sugar
- 6 ounces (3/4 cup) silver tequila
- 24 basil leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- 3 ounces (1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons) triple sec
- 6 cups small ice cubes
- Place 24 watermelon cubes on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Cover, and freeze at least 1 hour (up to 2 days).
- Puree remaining watermelon and the sugar in a blender until smooth. Pass through a sieve lined with cheesecloth into a bowl. (You should have 3 cups.)
- Place tequila and basil in a glass pitcher, and crush with a wooden spoon. Stir in watermelon juice and triple sec.
- Place watermelon cubes in glasses. Using a cocktail shaker, mix 3/4 cup margarita with 1 cup ice. Strain into a glass. Repeat. Serve garnished with basil.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.