Southern Grilled Chicken with Macaroni Salad
Head for Dixieland with two jazzy standbys: spicy-sweet chicken and creamy macaroni salad.
Everyday Food, July/August 2007
- Prep Time 50 minutes
- Total Time 50 minutes
- Serves 4
Yield Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for grates
- 1 package cut-up whole chicken (about 3 pounds), 8 pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 recipe Memphis-Style Barbecue Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/254728/memphis-style-barbecue-sauce), or store-bought
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced
- <u>Macaroni Salad</u>
- Heat grill to medium-low; lightly oil grates. Season chicken with salt and pepper; grill, turning as necessary, until lightly charred and almost cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Divide sauce between two bowls; one for basting and one for serving. Continue cooking chicken, brushing occasionally with sauce, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh (avoiding bone) registers 165 degrees, 5 to 10 minutes. Discard basting sauce.
- Drizzle tomatoes with oil; season with salt and pepper. Serve chicken with reserved sauce, Macaroni Salad, and tomatoes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.