- 1 can (6 ounces) American tuna
- 1 tablespoon salt-packed capers (rinsed and finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 slices crusty bread
- 3 basil leaves
- Combine tuna, capers, red onion, basil, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Season with pepper. Spoon mixture onto 2 slices crusty bread, and top each with 3 basil leaves.
For the best, most sustainable tuna, look for cans labeled "pole caught."