- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Total Time 10 minutes
- Serves 1
- 2 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
- Pinch of coarsely ground fresh pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced scallion
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, salt, and pepper until frothy.
- Heat an 8-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until your hand feels warm when held about 2 inches above the surface. Add oil or butter, and swirl to coat the bottom of skillet evenly.
- Pour whisked eggs into skillet; let set slightly. With a heatproof flexible spatula, push eggs from edge toward center; tilt pan to let egg fill spaces. Repeat until omelet is just set, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle cheese and scallion over half of the omelet, leaving the half closer to the skillet handle uncovered (to make it easier to remove from pan). Using the same spatula, gently fold omelet over filling. Tilt skillet, and slide filled omelet onto a serving plate (don’t worry if there are a few rips).
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.