Frozen Mocha Toffee-Crunch Terrine
Run a sharp knife under hot water to cut this layered cake into neat slices.
Everyday Food, March/April 2003
- Prep Time 40 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
Yield Makes 16 slices
- 19 chocolate wafer cookies
- 11 ounces mascarpone or cream cheese, or a combination
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup toffee bits
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons instant-coffee granules
- Line a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with 2 sheets of plastic wrap, with long sides overhanging by about 3 inches. Arrange 3 wafers, flat side up, in a row in the bottom of the pan.
- In a large bowl, beat mascarpone and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla. In another bowl, beat cream until it holds soft peaks. In three additions, fold the whipped cream into the sweetened mascarpone with a rubber spatula.
- In a bowl, mix 1 1/3 cups mascarpone mixture with toffee bits. In a separate bowl, mix another 1 1/3 cups mascarpone mixture with chocolate and cocoa powder. Dissolve the coffee in 1 teaspoon hot water; stir into the remaining mascarpone mixture.
- Spread coffee mixture in prepared pan. Cover with 8 wafers, overlapping if necessary. Spoon chocolate mixture into pan; cover with 8 wafers. Spoon toffee mixture into pan.
- Wrap pan with overhanging plastic; freeze at least 4 hours and up to 2 weeks. To serve, invert onto a serving platter. Remove plastic. Let terrine sit 5 minutes, then cut into slices.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.