Sauteed Sweet Potatoes and Spinach
Sweet potatoes are available sporadically year-round, but they're at their sweetest in fall and winter. They are sometimes mislabeled as yams, which are actually not widely available in North America.
Everyday Food, November 2003
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 1 1/2 pounds spinach
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cut sweet potatoes into cubes; cook, stirring, until starting to soften, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add curry powder. Cook 1 minute. Add water and chopped red onion. Cook, stirring, until water evaporates and potatoes are tender and browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- In the same skillet, cook spinach in two batches, adding second batch when first wilts, 2 minutes. Drain; add to potatoes.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar; season with coarse salt and ground pepper.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.