Shrimp Salad Pita
Martha Stewart Living, July/August 2000
- 2 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 pounds small shrimp, in their shells
- 6 tablespoons capers, drained
- Zest of 3 lemons
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill
- 1 package pita bread (6 pitas)
- 12 leaves Boston lettuce
- 1 cucumber, peeled, thinly sliced
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add 2 teaspoons salt and the shrimp, and cook until bright red and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer shrimp to ice bath, and let cool. Drain and pat dry.
- Peel shrimp, and place in a large bowl. Add capers, lemon zest, and mayonnaise, and stir to combine. Add remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, the pepper, and dill. Refrigerate shrimp salad until ready to use.
- Slice pitas in half and open, being careful not to rip the bottom. Fill with shrimp salad, lettuce, and cucumber slices.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.