- 4 medium sweet potatoes, (8 to 10 ounces each), scrubbed
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons packed dark-brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. With a fork, poke potatoes in several places. Arrange on a foil-lined baking sheet; bake until tender, about 40 minutes.
- Cut a deep cross in the top of each potato, and push the ends together to make an opening. Sprinkle inside with salt and pepper; dot each potato with 1 tablespoon butter and 2 teaspoons sugar. Serve.
Roasting sweet potatoes at a high oven temperature makes the skin delicious and extra crackly.