Summer Fruit Cream Pie
Farm-stand berries are folded into a cinnamon-laced filling that's obscured not with waves of whipped cream but with glistening glazed peaches.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2008
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 3/4 cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/2 ounces (1/2 cup) blueberries
- 2 1/2 ounces (1/2 cup) raspberries
- 2 1/2 ounces (1/2 cup) blackberries
- Graham Cracker Crust (http://www.marthastewart.com/262095/graham-cracker-crust)
- 1 cup Peaches in Syrup Peaches in Syrup (http://www.marthastewart.com/260904/peaches-in-syrup)
- Whisk sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan; whisk in milk. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until bubbling and thick, about 7 minutes total (about 2 minutes after it comes to a boil).
- Whisk yolks in a medium bowl until combined. Pour in milk mixture in a slow, steady stream, whisking until completely incorporated. Return mixture to the saucepan, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it returns to a boil, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Immediately remove from heat, and stir in cinnamon. Add butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking until butter melts before adding another piece. Let custard cool in saucepan on a wire rack, whisking occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Gently fold in berries until evenly distributed.
- Pour custard into graham cracker crust. Press plastic wrap directly on surface of custard. Refrigerate until custard filling is chilled and firm, at least 4 hours (or overnight).
- Spoon peaches with syrup onto center of pie, and serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.