Mushrooms and carrots lend contrasting color and texture to this cheese soup.
Everyday Food, January/February 2003
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Serves 4
Yield Serves 4
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock, or reduced-sodium canned broth
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, thinly sliced (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1/2 pound cheddar cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook until soft, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low, stir in flour, and cook, stirring, until it bubbles. Gradually add 1/2 cup stock, about 1/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly to incorporate each addition completely. Slowly add remaining 1 1/2 cups stock and the water, still stirring. Add mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon salt, and simmer until mushrooms are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Add carrots, return soup to a simmer, and then remove from heat. Stir in half the cheese until it melts into the liquid, and then stir in remaining cheese. Serve at once.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.