This eggplant-and-zucchini tagine was developed by Chef Stephen Kalt of New York City's Spartina restaurant, and is uniquely flavored with bananas, currants, and cinnamon.
Martha Stewart Living Television, April 1998
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon water
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 yellow squash, cut into 1/2-inch-thick moons
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch-thick moons
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced crosswise into half-moons
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add red pepper, and cook for 1 minute. Add 1 teaspoon garlic, 1 teaspoon shallots, and 1 tablespoon water. Cook until tender, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan, and set aside in a large bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet, and heat over medium-high heat. Add eggplant, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute, and add 1 teaspoon garlic, 1 teaspoon shallots, currants, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from pan, and set aside in same bowl as peppers.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet, and heat over medium-high heat. Add yellow squash and zucchini. Season with salt and pepper, and add remaining 1 teaspoon garlic and remaining 1 teaspoon shallots. Cook until tender but not falling apart, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from pan, and set aside in bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet, and heat over medium-high heat. Add bananas, remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and the sugar. Saute until just soft, about 1 minute. Remove from pan.
- Combine all vegetables in a tagine or baking dish with a lid. Cover, transfer to oven, and bake for 20 minutes. Serve hot.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.